Saturday, May 15, 2010

Planting Day

One of the healthy hobbies I've been cultivating (please pardon the pun) since my decision to make some changes in the way I live is gardening.  I had some previous success last year with my pumpkin crop, so I'm taking a risk this year and expanding my garden. 

I'm going with a technique known as companion planting, in which you plant several plants whose physiology/structure work symbiotically.  My additions this year are based on the Iroquois legend of the Three Sisters, and are comprised of squash, beans, and corn; three staples of Indigenous tribes in the Northeast of the North America. 

For my squash I've gone with pumpkins again, since they were so much fun last season.  For beans I'm growing pole beans; both because they are supposed to be 'difficult to screw up' and because its one of the few veggies my spouse will eat.  I went with sweet white corn out of personal preference. 

Like many things in nature, the combination is elegant in its design.  The corn provides structure upon which the beans can grow.  The beans, in turn, contribute to a more nitrogen rich soil from which the corns and pumpkins will both benefit.  The pumpkins, with their large ground clinging leaves and prickly vines, both shade the ground (preventing weeds) and also discourage insect pests.  It's a lovely cooperative relationship and will be a joy to watch.

In addition to the three sisters, I'm trying summer squash again, and adding bok choy.  I love both, and I've never seen anyone growing bok choy before, so I thought it would be fun. 

Planting day was yesterday (May 14th, 2010) but I didn't get to take good pictures until today.  Not much to look at, but I love "before" pictures, so, for what it's worth, they are listed below:


Eastern View of Garden Beds


Southern View of Garden Beds

Bok Choy Bed

So that's it.  Now I just need to be vigilant against weeds, and water consistently, and we'll see how it goes. 

For the sake of keeping records, here is the cultivation schedule for each plant:

Beans, Pole, Stringless Blue Lake
  • Days to Sprout:  7-10 (May 21st-May 23rd)
  • Days until Harvest 60  (July 13th)
Bok Choy
  • Days to Sprout 7-10 (May 21st-May 23rd)
  • Days until Harvest 45 (June 28th)
Corn, Sweet, Silver Queen Hybrid
  • Days to Sprout 7-10 (May 21st-May 23rd)
  • Days until Harvest 90 (August 19th)
Pumpkin, Big Max
  • Days to Sprout 8-10 (May 22nd-May 24th)
  • Days until Harvest 120 (September 19th)
Squash, Early Summer Crookneck
  • Days to Sprout 8-10 (May 22nd-May 24th)
  • Days until Harvest 50 (July 3rd)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers